Monday, March 5, 2012

The Danger of Good Enough

As many of you know, my wife and I are adopting. We had our second and longest homestudy visit on Saturday. The social worker mentioned the work of Ira Chasnoff when exploring in utero substance exposure. The video below addressed the issue of "good enough" when it comes to policy decisions and life. It's something I've heard many times before, but it really hit where I think I'm struggling with frustration in many institutions.


So often, particularly in the mental illness institutions, decisions are made for what is good enough. But as my dad frequently told me (especially in the dating arena), the good is the enemy of the best.

When people's lives are stake, why do we advocate for good enough? Why do we feel satisfied with just meeting the good enough goals in our own lives?

While it is important to know limitations and be realistic, I have been increasingly appalled at the lack of motivation and decisions to really challenge to raise the bar and standards higher. How are we ever going to become more like Christ if we always settle for good enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions?

Got a question, struggle, or doubt you'd like to see addressed here? Contact me, and I'll try to discuss it (and may even help you get an answer).